Keio University Art Center (KUAC) was established in 1993 as a research center attached to the university.
KUAC is not aligned to any particular academic field, philosophy, or theoretical method, but rather seeks to understand the role of the arts within contemporary society from a position that synthesizes developments across various academic fields – that is, through taking a cross-disciplinary approach, in line with Keio University’s educational objectives.
To this end, we are engaged in a number of theoretical studies and practices intended to meet the demands of the age we live in. We find ourselves in an information age; an age marked by fast-shifting values and sensibilities, and characterized by the co-existence of often contradictory or conflicting concepts and practices. The systems available to us for integrating such a reality can often seem inadequate. As a result, KUAC is committed to seeking out new models for cultural activity, which do not rely on existing academic frameworks, and to fostering creative sensibilities appropriate to the multiple value systems of the current age. Our overall aim is to contribute to the creation of a lively cultural environment.
- UMAC Tokyo Seminar: University Museums as Cultural Commons: Interdisciplinary Research and Education in Museums
- CulNarra! College: Workshop to Rediscover Local Cultural Resources
- Introduction to Archives XIX & Pleating Machine 3: Ko Nakajima—MY LIFE
- Seiko presents 拡張するジャズ「デューク・エリントン研究」
- Three Architects and International House of Japan
- Keio University Mita Campus Architecture Open Day