Keio University Mita Campus Architecture Open Day
Have you ever thought about the architecture around you?
You see lots of architecture everyday: Houses you pass by, crowded stations, and your school… How about taking a little time to view them?
Keio University has buildings which are designated as Important Cultural Properties. Did you know that some buildings at Keio were built before the war? Or, do you know who designed the library where you study and borrow books?
The Keio University Art Center has organized this Architecture Open Day to introduce the architecture on Mita Campus, including the Mita Public Speaking Hall (Mita Enzetsu-kan, built 1875) and the old “Noguchi Room” (Shin Banraisha, built 1951/2005) which are usually not open to the public. Participation is free and is open to the general public.
They will also be given a map with explanations of the important sculptural and historical features of Keio. We hope people will enjoy being given free rein to roam the grounds of Keio with a map in-hand.
October 17th and 20th 2017, 10:00-17:00
Keio University Mita Campus
No reservation necessary
Guided tour: Max 20 seats for each tour. If you want to join the guided tours, please make a booking via the booking form.
Enquiries and bookings
Keio University Art Center
Organiser: Keio University Art Center
Supported by FY2018 Minato Cooperation Project for Cultural Program
How to participate
1. Get the "Architecture Map" at the distribution places in Mita campus
- Distribution Places
- South Annex 1F & Art Center
- Office of Student Services (B1F, South School Building)
- Security Office at Main gate
- Ex Noguchi Room
- East building stairwell
- The "Architecture Map" introduces the place of the opened architecture and information about it.
2. Walk around the architecture with the Map
- Please walk free around and look at the public-opened architecture.
- Because of the classes, there are some architecture whose observations are restricted to the outsides. The viewable architecture may change depending on days.
- Please read through a notice on the Map and enjoy the tour.
Architecture you can see
- Enzetsu-kan (Public Speaking Hall)：Outside and inside
- Old Noguchi Room (Shin Banraisha)：Outside and inside
- Jukukankyoku：Outside only
- Old Library：Outside only
- The First School building：Outside and some rooms
- Library：Outside only
- Graduated school：Outside only
* The students of Keio University can view the inside of all the architecture.
- Pleating Machine 2: Ko Nakajima x Yutaka Matsuzawa ― Rooms in the Photographs
- UMAC Tokyo Seminar: University Museums as Cultural Commons: Interdisciplinary Research and Education in Museums
- Ana Mendieta
- Bookworms / Bookfiends
- Minato-e: Notebook on Cities and Cultures
- Uesughi Mitsuyo Butoh Performance Life