Keio University Mita Campus Architecture Open Day
Have you ever thought about the architecture around you?
You see lots of architecture everyday: Houses you pass by, crowded stations, and your school… How about taking a little time to view them?
Keio University has buildings which are designated as Important Cultural Properties. Did you know that some buildings at Keio were built before the war? Or, do you know who designed the library where you study and borrow books?
The Keio University Art Center has organized this Architecture Open Day to introduce the architecture on Mita Campus, including the Mita Public Speaking Hall (Mita Enzetsu-kan, built 1875) and the old “Noguchi Room” (Shin Banraisha, built 1951/2005) which are usually not open to the public. Participation is free and is open to the general public.
We also distribute a map with explanations of the important sculptural and historical features of Keio. We hope people will enjoy being given free rein to roam the grounds of Keio with a map in-hand.
October 3rd and 5th 2019, 10:00 - 17:00
Keio University Mita Campus
No reservation necessary
Guided tour: Max 20 seats for each tour.
If you want to join the guided tours, please make a booking via the booking form.
The guided tour is fully booked. Thank you for your participation!
Enquiries and bookings
Keio University Art Center
Organised by Keio University Art Center and Cultural Narrative of a City project.
Co-organised by Minato-city (FY2019 Minato Cooperation Project for Cultural Program).
In co-operation with International House of Japan.
Supported by the Agency for Cultural Affairs, Government of Japan in fiscal 2019.
How to participate
1. Get the "Architecture Map" at the distribution places in Mita campus
- Distribution Places
- South Annex 1F & Art Center
- Ex Noguchi Room
- East building stairwell
- The "Architecture Map" introduces the place of the opened architecture and information about it.
2. Walk around the architecture with the Map
- Please walk free around and look at the public-opened architecture.
- Because of the classes, there are some architecture whose observations are restricted to the outsides. The viewable architecture may change depending on days.
- Please read through a notice on the Map and enjoy the tour.
Architecture you can see
- Enzetsu-kan (Public Speaking Hall)：Outside and inside
- Old Noguchi Room (Shin Banraisha)：Outside and inside
- Jukukankyoku：Outside only
- Old Library：Outside only and inside (entrance and staircase)
- The First School building：Outside and some rooms
- Library：Outside only
- Graduated school：Outside only
* The students of Keio University can view the inside of all the architecture.
- Online Exhibition “Keio Exhibition RoomX: Jinkan Kosai (Society)”
- CulNarra! College '20: Workshop to Rediscover Local Cultural Resources
- Introduction to Art Archive XXI Fumihiko Maki and Keio University I : Resonating Architecture
- Ambarvalia X ：Junzaburo Nishiwaki and the future of poetry
- The 35th Anniversary of Hijikata Tatsumi’s Death / Talking together about Tatsumi Hijikata Online Event
- Cultural research on urban cities and communities